A downloadable game for Windows
Star Explorers Version 5.0 is here! It's the interstellar dungeon crawler. Traverse a randomly generated galaxy in your own spacecraft, landing on planets, fighting aliens, finding resources, upgrading items, exploring caves, all while seeking out a new home for the human race.
Note: You can find a brief Star Explorers walk-through on YouTube...
"...See, the galaxy Schmidt has created here isn't cruel. "Cruel" implies that it cares. And this galaxy is terribly, terribly uncaring..." - MagFlare – Steam User
"...This game, at its core, is about exploration, and it scratches my space exploration itch in a way that no game has since I played Starflight as a kid..." - battlescar2014 – Steam User
"No Man's Sky 1999" - El Oschuro
- Randomly generated galaxy which the player can fully explore
- Randomly generated planets, caves and other environments
- Randomly generated alien life, either hostile or friendly towards the player
- Combat system with aliens on planets and in caves
- Inventory and Trade System with mothership and some friendly aliens
- Quests from both mothership and friendly aliens, in addition to the main quest
- Upgrade system allowing player to explore wider range of planets over the course of the game
- Crafting system, including unique artifacts that must be constructed with ancient blueprints
- Day/Night cycles on each planet
- Resource management and survival in hostile conditions
- Database of Sectors, Stars and Planets in which player can take notes and customize the names of stars and planets
Planets are formed randomly, but their conditions are based on somewhat scientific factors. The size and temperature of the star they orbit, their distance from that star, the type of surface, atmosphere, and liquids present (or not) determine how a planet will look once landed on. Players will be able to land, depart and return to planets, exploring their surfaces as well as underground cave systems repeatedly, while keeping the same features intact on each visit.
Fuel, ammunition and oxygen will all have to be carefully managed if the player wants to survive the long search for an earth-like planet. While many planets will be too hot or cold, or without an atmosphere, there are also worlds of liquid methane, ammonia, sulphuric acid and more, that have developed their own unique evolutionary cycles. Each kind of alien plant, tree or animal is pieced together randomly, making for a unique experience for each player.
The Star Explorers universe is not a friendly one though, it can be cruel and indifferent to the struggles of its inhabitants. If you're not careful, you might land on a planet that's just too hot, or too cold, or enveloped in a cloud of corrosive acid, and not live to tell about it. Upgrading your space suit will unlock these otherwise impossible worlds to further exploration.
Inventory, Upgrading and Crafting:
Exploration will allow the player to discover many things, including tools and resources that will help in further exploration. Among these are raw materials, weapons, armor upgrades and blueprints that allow you to craft helpful items. Armor upgrades will increase your space suit's resistance to heat, cold and other environmental hazards. Some weapons allow you to access areas that may be closed off to less experienced adventurers.
Caves and Ancient Ruins:
Star Explorers may be the first interstellar dungeon crawler. Traversing the dark, hidden places and caves is necessary to find the resources required to complete the game. Discover the crumbling remains of an ancient culture and learn the secrets of its mysterious people. In Star Explorers, exploration and investigation are rewarded with special items and locations that many players may never find. If you are someone who likes to look around every corner, then this is the game for you.
Almost everything in Star Explorers is produced generatively. From the locations of stars and nebulae, to the surfaces of planets and their features, every location is different, and every play-through offers unique challenges. Even the music heard in game is generated in real time, and is based purely on the parameters of the player's environment. Each planet, cave and other location has a unique sound-track.
Shaders and Options:
Star Explorers has a number of visual options you may choose from. Among them is the “Old-School Pixel Shader” which offers a unique, low-resolution experience. The graphics are not really at pace with newer games, but real-time shadows, bloom and a smoothing shader are also available for those who enjoy a slightly more contemporary feel. You also have control of your field of view, mouse sensitivity and game/music volume, along with options that may help the game run more smoothly on older hardware. See the manual for full documentation.
The Future of Star Explorers:
After a year of Early Access, Star Explorers has arrived at a point where I feel it matches my original design document. Fulfilling my promise to have it completed in a year was important to me, but that does not mean I am finished working on it. I have many other ideas I may choose to add to the game's content. Chief among these are the following:
- Space battles with alien ships
- Boarding and exploring alien spaceships
- More variety of celestial objects, like moons, asteroids and more
- Alien cities on certain planets
- Based on critical feedback, I also plan to add a casual mode, for simple exploration without the survival elements
At some point in the future, I may begin work on these new features. The timing and consistency of these potential future updates will depend largely on how well the game is received by its audience. The more I hear from players, the more likely I will stay motivated to continue on this project.
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $4.99 USD. You will get access to the following files:
- Star Explorers 5.2.2 Update67 days ago
- Star Explorers 5.1.5 Experimental ReleaseJan 31, 2022
- Star Explorers Nominated at IndieCade!Oct 20, 2021
- Update 5.1.0Sep 08, 2021
- Star Explorers Update!Aug 19, 2021
- Testing Branch Updated to 5.0 Pre-Release 0.4.2May 15, 2021
- Star Explorers Optional Pre-Release 0.0.7 - for testingJan 02, 2021
- Update 4.6.5Sep 08, 2020